What is the Poultry Science Summer Institute? The summer institute is a five-day, four-night conference and workshop designed to broaden the high school student’s understanding of the educational disciplines, scholarship opportunities, careers and industries related to poultry science.
Who can attend & how much is it? Any high school student with an interest in a career in the poultry industry may apply to attend the conference. You must list as a reference a high school science teacher, counselor, county extension agent, 4H leader or vocational agriculture instructor. We require a brief personal statement describing why you would like to attend. The cost for the conference is $50.00, which includes your lodging on campus, all meals, field trips, workshop materials, and entertainment.
How do I apply?
- Fill out the Poultry Science Summer Institute Application before the March 31st deadline.
- Complete a brief personal statement indicating why you are interested in the experience (this is very helpful when we are selecting who will be chosen to attend!).
- Acceptance notification will be made by the 3rd week of May.
- This very popular program is limited to 20 participants.
What’s in it for me? You will get to see what campus life is really like at North Carolina State University when you come to the Summer Institute. You will be staying in University Towers, a private residence hall (with a pool), going to local fun spots, doing hands-on-experimentation in a laboratory setting, and doing all sorts of things that college students do. In other words, you’ll get to “try us on for size”. Students participating in the program will get to interact informally with numerous NC State faculty, staff, and current poultry science students. Attendees will learn about the vast field that is Poultry Science as well as specific information on our Poultry Science Degree Program and areas such as:
- Career Fields & Areas of Opportunity
- Scholarship Requirements and Availability
- Internships while Attending College
- Employment Connections upon Graduation
- How to Apply to College and When
- and about anything else you would like to know about POULTRY!
AND most importantly, you’ll make lots of new friends from all over the State of North Carolina. Still want more information? E-mail: Dr. Kim Livingston or call: (919) 515-5534.