The “What Soil Means in My World Video Contest” celebrates the Soil Science Society of America’s 75th Anniversary this year (2011). We would like to challenge the soils community to present original, inspirational videos illustrating what soil means to you in your world. The deadline to submit the video and upload all signed permission/release forms is August 1, 2011, at midnight (CDT).
What Soil Means in My World: Topics & Prizes
Your video will exemplify how soil is used or viewed in global issues (climate change, health, economic, social), the impact of soil on local to world events, or how soil as a natural/ecological/environmental resource is utilized in “your world” (whatever that may be).
We encourage you to produce a video which is creative, imaginative, and inspirational — one in which people will remember the message. The video must be your original, non-commercial work, and made recently (within the last year).
Topics and prizes:
- Soils and Climate Change – one topic winner, $250
- Soils and Food Security – one topic winner, $250
- Soils and Water Quality/Quantity – one topic winner, $250
- Soils and Human Health – one topic winner, $250
- Open topic on Soil – one topic winner, $250
- World Soil Issues Important to Students – one topic winner, $250 – open only to K-12 studentsIn addition, there will be one Grand Prize Winner – who will receive $750